FreeBSD OS Developer
- Remote: Yes
- Locations: Global
- Full-time/part-time: Part-time or Full-time
- Employment/Contract: Contract (preferred)
- Category: Engineering
- Experience: 5+ Years
As a provider of open-source services, Klara focuses on the art of open software and community-driven development. We believe that in order to foster creativity and advance technology in an ethical fashion we must continue fueling the spirit of open source.
At Klara, we rely on a mix of specialists and community to deliver FreeBSD, ZFS and Arm development services. We help customers standardize their environments running on FreeBSD and ZFS, and accelerate their platforms based on FreeBSD, ZFS and Arm.
About The Job
Klara Inc. is looking for a FreeBSD Operating System Developer to join our growing team of Open Source Specialists. In this role you will be working as part of a FreeBSD team to design and build new features and fix bugs in FreeBSD. Our team is building new key features for FreeBSD and contributing bug fixes and improvements that make life easier for all users of the operating system.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with Open Source Operating Systems projects in either the kernel, user space or ports areas. The ideal candidate also has an interest in team work, and specifically being able to involve and engage with other developers to make changes which lead to the best result for the users.
As a FreeBSD OS Developer, you will work directly with our customers to design and implement improvements and enhancements to FreeBSD. In this role you will have the opportunity to build the future of FreeBSD.
- Work as part of a small cross-functional team to develop operating system features and functionality
- Manage the open source life cycle of changes, from initial review all the way to merging to stable branches
- Design and develop improvements to FreeBSD and the other Open Source tools that make up a complete Operating System
- Derive, document and present high-level system requirements from technology requirements
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong understanding of operating system concepts and principles
- Experience programming in C, working with build tools and automating with shell scripts
- Experience with Unix-like operating systems, particularly FreeBSD
- Comfortable working across the system, from the kernel, through userspace tools up to systems management scripts
- Experience with Git and other version control systems
- Strongly motivated in open source development
- Strong problem-solving and debugging skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated history of working well with open source communities to contribute fixes and improvements
If you’d rather talk to us via e-mail, just drop us a line at joinus [at] klarasystems.com.