FreeBSD and ZFS System Administrator
- Remote: Yes
- Locations: Global
- Full-time/part-time: Part-time or Full-time
- Employment/Contract: Contract (preferred)
- Category: System Administration
- Experience: 3+ Years
As a provider of open-source services, Klara focuses on the art of open software and community-driven development. We believe that in order to foster creativity and advance technology in an ethical fashion we must continue fueling the spirit of open source.
At Klara, we rely on a mix of specialists and community to deliver FreeBSD, ZFS and Arm development services. We help customers standardize their environments running on FreeBSD and ZFS, and accelerate their platforms based on FreeBSD, ZFS and Arm.
About The Job
Klara Inc. is looking for an experienced FreeBSD Systems Administrator to join our growing team of Open Source specialists. Reporting to the FreeBSD Engineering Manager you will be responsible for working as part of the team to investigate and resolve issues with the FreeBSD operating system.
Assignments include designing and deploying new systems, apply automation and best practices, investigating performance issues, and resolving complex bugs, managing software installations, and otherwise maintaining and monitoring existing systems.
The ideal candidate has experience deploying and managing large server installations of FreeBSD. They have the knowledge regarding when and how to use native FreeBSD tools and when to use third party tools to best manage an installation.
Our systems administrators work directly with our customers to assist them with different challenges across their infrastructures. In this role you will have the opportunity to shape how FreeBSD is used in production.
- Work as part of a remote team to support customers’ infrastructure
- Investigate and resolve reported problems, and monitor systems to proactively prevent future issues
- Provide guidance on best practices and industry standards
- Work across all areas of FreeBSD: OS Internals, Networking, Jails, Storage, and Packages
- Design and implement new infrastructure deployments
Skills and Qualifications
- Extensive experience with FreeBSD in a server role and relevant technologies such as:
- In-depth knowledge of configuration, management, and automation of FreeBSD
- Strong skills with package management
- Great communication and documentation skills targeted at cross-team collaboration
- Familiarity or experience contributing to open-source projects
- Strongly motivated in open source development
- Strong problem-solving and debugging skills
If you’d rather talk to us via e-mail, just drop us a line at joinus [at] klarasystems.com.